My families' favorites other than the sharp cheddar cheese are a smoked provolone and a jalepeno cheddar cheese. With the latter, I found that using only jalepeno cheese was too strong for me and so the next batch I used half plain cheddar and half jalepeno. Bill, however, loved it!
Cheddar Pepper Bread
· 2 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
· 2 tsp baking powder
· 1 tsp baking soda
· 2 ½ cups of grated sharp cheddar cheese
· 3 - 5 tsp fresh ground black pepper
· ¾ tsp salt
· 2 eggs
· 8 oz. non-fat plain yogurt
· ½ cup of melted butter
1. PREHEAT oven to 375 degrees.
2. GREASE and FLOUR a 4 ½ x8 ½ inch loaf pan. Baker’s Joy or Pam Baking Spray with Flour work well for this application.
3. In a large bowl, MIX flour, baking powder, baking soda, cheese, pepper and salt until well blended. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Set aside.
4. In a medium bowl, MIX eggs, yogurt and melted butter.
5. POUR yogurt mixture into the well of the dry ingredients.
6. STIR until the dry ingredients are just moistened.
7. SPOON the mixture into the loaf pan.
8. BAKE for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick in the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
9. COOL loaf pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
10. REMOVE from, SLICE and serve. WRAP in foil and will keep in fridge for up to 5 days.
· WRAP in plastic freezer paper and foil.
· FREEZE up to 4 months.
· REHEAT in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes after bread has thawed.