10/24/2011

Monday Recpe: Bierock Appetizer

Not sure what a Bierock is?  Well, it is a meat pie that is made with ground beef, cabbage and onion.  I first had them while at Bethany College, Lindsborg KS.  I will admit, I do not make my own dough although the restaurant I first had them at does.
If you are adventurous, there are many dough recipes on the web to choose from.  A good one to try is http://www.cookscountry.com/recipes/detail/8302 -- Yes they are called Runzas in Nebraska... found that out when I lived in Omaha in the late 90's.

The following recipe is a variation I make for an appetizer or brunch buffet.   I will be making these for our housewarming on November 5th!  So I thought I would give out the recipe in anticipation. 

Makes about 24 appetizers.

Ingredients
  • 1 lb. lean ground beef  (I have used venison in this as well) 
  • 1 lg. onion, diced
  • 1 lg head of cabbage
  • 4 cloves minced garlic
  • 1 tsp caraway seeds
  • 2 tbs Worcestershire sauce
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • 3 tubes of Crescent Rolls
Directions
  1. Brown the ground meat with the diced onion, garlic and seasonings.
  2. Drain well.
  3. Mix the cabbage in with the meat and set aside to cool.
  4. With each crescent roll of dough, separate into squares if doing larger bierocks or use the triangle shape for smaller ones.
  5. Add 1-2 tbs of filling to the middle and then pinch corners together sealing edges well.
  6. Place on a grease cookie sheet, seam side down
  7. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
  8. Serve with one of the sauces below (Plain Yellow or Dijon Mustard is the standard in Lindsborg)
Sauces:
  1. Regular Ketchup or Mustard
  2. Cocktail Sauce
    • 1 cup Ketchup
    • 1 tbs lemon juice
    • 1/2 cup prepared horseradish
    • Optional a bit of splenda or sugar to sweeten just a bit.
    • Mix ingredients together with a whisk and chill, covered
    • OR JUST BUY A BOTTLE OF COCKTAIL SAUCE!
  3. Tangy Mustard Sauce
    • 1/2 c. Dijon-style mustard
    • 1/2 c. mayonnaise
    • 1 tsp. soy sauce
    • 1 tsp. garlic powder
    • hot pepper sauce (optional)
    • Mix ingredients together with a whisk and chill, covered
Stay tuned to our adventures in the housewarming party!   I am sure I will have more recipes to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment