10/03/2011

Monday Recipe: Last of the Garden!

This week's recipe comes from the last of the vetegables in the garden!   We had a bit of yellow squash leftover from my trip to the Farmer's market last week and the last few eggplant from our own container garden.  Can't wait till next week when we will have an entire plot of land to be tended! Of course, I just cook it, can it or freeze it but I love that Bill and Dad love to garden!

So in honor of the last of the summer veggies, I made the following casserole.  And if I do say so myself, one of the best vegetable casseroles I have made made in a long time.

Eggplant and Squash Casserole

Ingredients
  • 2lbs of diced yellow squash and eggplant
  • 1 can of mushrooms, chopped finely
  • 1 can of cream of  mushroom soup
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup diced onion
  • 2 cups of shredded colby-jack cheese
  • 1 cup crushed ritz crackers
  • 2 tbs McCormick's crusting blend
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Directions
  1. Peel and dice the squash and eggplant. 
  2. Boil the diced squash and eggplant in salted water until tender.  Remove from heat, drain and put into a bowl.
  3. Add cream of mushroom soup, eggs, mushrooms and onion.  Mix throughly
  4. Place half of the mixture into a 9x13 greased pan
  5. Mix the crusting blend and cracker crumbs together.  Sprinkly half of the mixture over the vegetable layer.
  6. Sprinkle 1/2 of the cheese on top of the crumbs.
  7. Layer the rest of the vegetable mix
  8. Then sprinkle the remainder of the cracker mixture.
  9. Dot the casserole with 1/4 cup of butter. (I refridgerate, dice into small pcs and refridgerate until use.)
  10. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour
  11. At 45 minute mark, sprinkle remaining cheese on top and continue baking.
My family loved it.  Even my dad said he would eat again.  And eggplant is one of the few things he really doesn't like to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment