I will post each week one new recipe that my family tried from the previous week. We tried several this week since I was bored with what we had been eating. They included a soup/stew with kale, sauteed kale with vinegar, my own variation on a southern favorite okra and tomatoes and oven fried chicken.
Only one stood out as a unanimous choice as the post title states. It is my own version of Stewed Okra and Tomatoes with Brown Rice. I served this as a side dish with Bill's grilled venison tenderloin. The tenderloin was marinated in bottled Terriyaki mixed with bottle of beer, crushed garlic, soy sauce and worchestshire sauce. I will have to remember to take pictures next time!
- 1/2 lb okra cut into bite size pcs (frozen works fine just thaw it before cooking)
- 3 cans diced tomatoes or approximately 3 cups fresh peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup of diced onions
- 1 cup instant brown rice (I used Uncle Ben's)
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs butter
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- In a dutch oven or high sided skillet, heat the oil and butter until melted
- Saute the onions and garlic until onions are translucent
- Add the okra and saute for about 5 minutes
- Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil
- Reduce the heat to med-low and add the rice
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes