7/18/2011

Monday Recipe: Stewed Okra and Tomatoes with Brown Rice

It's Monday and as of this week, that means RECIPE Day!

I will post each week one new recipe that my family tried from the previous week.  We tried several this week since I was bored with what we had been eating.  They included a soup/stew with kale, sauteed kale with vinegar, my own variation on a southern favorite okra and tomatoes and oven fried chicken.  

Only one stood out as a unanimous choice as the post title states.  It is my own version of Stewed Okra and Tomatoes with Brown Rice.  I served this as a side dish with Bill's grilled venison tenderloin.  The tenderloin was marinated in bottled Terriyaki mixed with bottle of beer, crushed garlic, soy sauce and worchestshire sauce.  I will have to remember to take pictures next time! 

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 lb okra cut into bite size pcs (frozen works fine just thaw it before cooking)
  • 3 cans diced tomatoes or approximately 3 cups fresh peeled and chopped
  • 1/2 cup of diced onions
  • 1 cup instant brown rice (I used Uncle Ben's)
  • 1 tbs olive oil
  • 1 tbs butter
  • 3 cloves minced garlic
 Directions:
  • In a dutch oven or high sided skillet, heat the oil and butter until melted
  • Saute the onions and garlic until onions are translucent
  • Add the okra and saute for about 5 minutes
  • Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil
  • Reduce the heat to med-low and add the rice
  • Cover and simmer for 20 minutes
If you try out this or another recipe, please comment and let me know you tried it, how you liked it or what you might change.  I am always open to new recipes as well!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment